Scottish and Irish solicitors as well as fully-qualified barristers of England and Wales are exempt from some elements of the MCT, as follows:
- Barristers of England and Wales – need to pass Professional Conduct, Solicitors’ Accounts, the Regulatory Framework, Financial Regulation, Money Laundering, Taxation and Business Law.
- Solicitors in Scotland – need to pass the English Legal System, European Union Law, Professional Conduct, Solicitors’ Accounts, Contract Law, Criminal Law, Property Law, Equity and Trusts.
- Solicitors of Republic of Ireland – need to pass Property Law only.
Those Intra-UK applicants are entitled to a discount in their MCT course fees, as described below:
- English barristers – GBP 490 (textbooks, practice questions, revision notes and mock tests)
- Scottish solicitors – GBP 690 (textbooks, practice questions, revision notes and mock tests)
- Irish solicitors – GBP 390 (special package with the Property Law textbook, revision notes and 200 multiple choice questions similar to the formal test).
Learn more about our tailor-made course packages for intra-UK candidates.