There are several separate steps you will need to take to qualify a solicitor through the SQE:
- Eligibility – you must make sure you hold an academic degree or equivalent as required by the SRA. This is a self-check process.
- Courses – if you wish to enrol for an SQE preparation course, sign up with QLTS School for Stage 1 or Stage 2 assessments.
- Assessments – register with Kaplan, the sole assessment provider, to sit SQE Stage 1 assessments; register to sit Stage 2 when you have passed all Stage 1 assessments.
- Qualifying Work Experience or QWE – all domestic candidates must complete a two years’ qualifying legal experience before they apply for admission with the SRA. Foreign qualified lawyers are exempt from the experience requirement.
- Admission – once you have passed all SQE assessments, you may apply for admission as a solicitor to the SRA, provided you meet the character and suitability check.