SQE Stage 2 is the practical legal skills assessment which tests various skills: Client Interviewing and preparation of an attendance note/legal analysis which is linked to the client interview; Advocacy; Legal research; Legal writing; legal drafting; and Case and matter analysis.
The assessments must be taken and passed in the various practice contexts making a total of 16 assessments known as stations: Dispute Resolution; Property Practice; Business Law and Practice; Criminal Practice; Wills and the Administration of Estates and Trusts. The stations will sample across the range of skills and practice areas. Candidates will not be able to choose the practice area for their skills assessment.
So, what is included in our preparation course for SQE2?
- Practice area summaries – these cover the essential elements of the law; the practice areas are summarised and divided into sections, covering the main topics tested in the SQE2 assessment.
- SQE2 practice questions – these cover the legal practice areas; each question includes multiple exercises which are based on a single scenario/case study common to that practice area.
- 240 mock exams with suggested solutions for self-assessment – these cover all legal practice areas and skills tested in the SQE2 assessment. The mock exams provide a vital opportunity for you to deepen your legal knowledge and hone your practical skills. Points to note or proposed submissions for each mock enable you to understand what is required of you and, to identify areas of development during your preparation. The scenarios cover a wide spectrum of the SQE syllabus, with supporting documents to many of the questions, such as shareholders’ and partnership agreements, statements of claim, defence and counterclaim, interim applications, wills, tax forms, property transfer forms, title deeds, lease extracts, defence and witness statements.
- SQE Skills Online – an online resource with more than 60 interactive exercises covering the practical legal skills, complemented by video and audio material and a 130-page accompanying book, to ensure that you are familiar with the various skills
- Legal Skills Video Workshops – a suite of more than 100 video workshops with role play scenarios and professional presentations, spanning nearly 20 hours in total. These include pre and post-commentary notes delivered by an experienced legal skills trainer. You will also receive access to summaries of key points
- Initial consultation and a tailor-made study plan – shortly after your enrolment, you will be asked to complete a questionnaire and provide details about your legal experience and qualifications. Your tutor will then review the questionnaire prior to your initial consultation, following which you will receive a customised study plan, designed specifically to meet your personal requirements.
- Mock practice stations with one-to-one tutor feedback in client interviewing and advocacy – the mock practice stations will be conducted via Skype, Facetime, or GoToMeeting, and will be personally marked by one of our tutors, who will provide you with feedback based on the SRA marking criteria.
- Periodic updates for the course materials
- Live workshops – you will have the opportunity to attend live and interactive workshops in London, which may include exercises, formal input, role plays and group interaction. The focus of the workshops is to build your confidence and reinforce your ability to speak with clarity, as well as presenting yourself in an articulate, professional and composed manner. The workshops are offered on a one-to-one basis or in small groups.
Check our website to ger free sample materials for SQE2, including full mock exams.